Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Post 23: "You're so picky Jessi"

A few people have told me I'm too picky when it comes to men.

I agree.

I just tell them I know I deserve the best and I won't settle for anything less. Usually I get those looks as if they were saying, oh so you're better than all of us now eh? or they'll just say "well good for you" and walk off.

While I don't necessarily agree that I'm better than any of them, I do however, know that I have a lot of respect for myself.

And so I tell them finding a potential boyfriend (and eventually husband) is like buying cable.

Allow me to explain.

There are three different types of cable.
  • Basic Cable
  • Premium Cable
  • Deluxe Cable

With Basic Cable you have a 50/50 ratio. You get 50% of the channels you want and 50% of the channels you don't want. And while you're happy with basic cable for awhile, you find yourself missing your favourite channels (for me those favourite channels are: The Food Network, VH1 and TLC) and hating the channels you're forced to pay for but don't want, at all (my examples are: Sports Center, The Disney Channel, and LOGO).

After you get bored/fed up with Basic Cable you decide to break up with him and then you meet Premium Cable.

Now Premium Cable is much better than Basic Cable. With Premium Cable you get 75% of the channels you love. You love being able to watch Ace of Cakes on The Food Network, Music Videos on VH1 and What Not To Wear on TLC, as well as your other favourite channels. However, after you get those first few bills you realize you are paying for the 25% of the channels you don't watch and you decide you hate having to pay for Sports Center, LOGO and The Disney Channel.

So you decide to break up with Premium Cable and take a short break before shopping around for Cable again.

Then you meet Deluxe Cable. Deluxe Cable appears out of nowhere, it's like Deluxe Cable waited until you weren't looking before he swept you off your feet with his Deluxe-icousness.

Deluxe Cable is the best of the best. It's like you got to choose what channels you wanted and you could omit the ones you didn't want. You get The Food Network, TLC, VH1 & MTV, HGTV, and that station that plays all of the old shows you watched growing up. Deluxe Cable has 95% of all the channels you love and only 5% of the channels you don't (for example, Sports Center) but you don't care because you have everything else you've ever wanted.

And while you had to wait a little while for Deluxe Cable to come along and yea maybe you had to pay a little bit more for it, in the end it's 10000000000% worth it.

I've dated Basic Cable and I've dated Premium Cable (more than once) and after breaking up with both of them, I'm more than happy to wait for my Mr. Deluxe Cable.