Thursday, September 25, 2008

Post 9: Living with a 5 year old. AKA: K-Ten

This story happened in November of 2005. I had just returned from an 8am class and wanted to take a nap before my next class at 10:15am. This is what happened:

I am almost asleep in my bed. Warm and cozy underneath my blankets.

K-Ten: [bursts out of bathroom] “J! J! J! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"

Me: [grumbling] “what! I’m trying to take a nap before my next class!”

K-Ten: [jumps onto my bed and thus on top of me.]“But what about McDonald’s breakfast! Remember? You promised!”

I had forgotten that I had promised K-Ten that I’d take her out for McDonald’s breakfast today. The last time we went it had already ended.

I roll onto my back and see K-Ten with a huge smile on her face and eagerness in her eyes. Similar to a child begging their mum for sweets at the grocery store.

Me: “B-b-but [I stutter] I only have 45 minutes until my next class [pointing to the clock] and I was up late last night writing a paper.”

K-Ten: [With disappointment in her eyes and her smile slowly fading] “Oh, okay.”

I’m on to her; she’s trying to make me feel guilty. I swear I won’t fall for it again. She hops down off my bed and I roll back over onto my stomach and proceed to fall asleep. I now only had 40 minutes to sleep. Ugh I hate class. Not a minute later I hear her jumping on her bed as if she were 5.

K-Ten: [while jumping on her bed] “I want McDonald’s breakfast! I want McDonald’s breakfast! Please J take me to McDonald’s! PLEASE!!!!!!”

Me: [still under my blankets] “NO!”

I hear flop down onto her bed. I hear her start yelling. I look up and see her face down on her bed kicking her legs and waving her arms and shouting “I WANT MCDONALD’S BREAKFAST!” Unbelievable I think to myself.

Me: [staring at her in annoyance and disbelief] “What the hell!? Are you seriously throwing a tantrum? You’re acting like a bloody five year old!”

K-Ten: [stops tantrum and stares at me with a childish grin on her face] “yes I am because you broke a promise and I’m upset.”

Me: [grumbling] “I s’pose you’re not gonna stop until I take you are you?”

K-Ten moves her head slowly from side to side while holding back a smile of accomplishment.

Me: [getting out of bed and grumbing] “bloody hell K-Ten. I feel like your mother and you’re my demon spawn.”

K-Ten: [runs over and hugs me] “Thank you mummy! I wuv you!”

Me: “I hate you”

K-Ten: [grabs my hand and pulls me outside into the cold air] “no you don’t. you loooooove me!”

We walk down the hill to my car and I take her to McDonald’s for breakfast five minutes before it ends.

We grab our food and head back to campus. She skips up the hill and all the way to our quad. I’m such a push-over. I look at the clock. Time for class. Bloody hell.

The lovely K-Ten making one of her lovely faces.