Friday, February 20, 2009

Post 90: seventeen again

a few months ago i took a little trip to Walmart. i had to buy a few things and saw that Saving Private Ryan was only $5. so i decided to purchase it.

here is the story:

i finish shopping and go through the checkout. the woman scans my dvd and asks me for my ID.

i look at her surprised.

"it's because of your R rated DVD" she said, sensing my curiosity.

"oh?" i said in response, shaking my head and smiling as i got out my license.

"let me guess" she said, "you're older than 17?"

"um, yes, i'm 24." i said as i showed her my license, which is horizontal (in ohio that means i am over the age of 21).

"oh wow!" she said, genuinly surprised. "i didn't realize..."

"it's okay, it happens a lot." i say as i put away my license and grab my bags.

"when you're thirty and look twenty you'll appreciate it" she reassures me.

"thanks." i say as i walk away.

now, i get carded all the time for alcohol and when i smoked i got carded for cigarettes. but never, ever have i been carded for an R rated movie. i didn't even know they did that.

interesting.

so apparently i look like i'm 17. awesome.

i guess when i'm in my thirties and look twenty i'll appreciate it?

cheers to having a baby face.